Thursday, May 24, 2007

Heard it somewhere?

Caught up with samples of the soundtrack and BGMs of "The road to Perdition".
This particular piece "Road to Chicago" gave me a deja vu when I saw the film.
Later I confirmed with my father. It is indeed the sweet and melancholic Charukesi
Raagam played in a symphonic format. If you are wondering what is charukesi - simple
Thamizh music sampler is from "Aadal Kalayae Dhevan thandhadhu" sung soulfully by KJY
in Sri Raghavendrar. For Charukesi dipped in symphonic chocolate, listen to "Putril Vaazh aravum anjaen" from Thiruvasagam in Oratorio by the Maestro. The last two stanzas are in chaste charukesi, particularly "Koanila Vaaliyanjaen" onwards...
Thanks to Raaja and Charukesi, I am very slowly beginning to understand the harmony between various musical forms. Meanwhile do write to me if Thomas Newman is listening to Carnatic music secretly???

1 Comments:

Blogger Bala (Karthik) said...

Jaiganesh,
Interesting. Will check it out.

BTW, i'm no carnatic expert (infact im not even a beginner!), but i could recognize the "Maand" beginning but not the Thilang and Charukesi.
You've made me want to listen to it again. Sublime music!

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home